- When someone or something goes by the book, it means they following the rules exactly.
- Strictly according to the rules.
- In a way that strictly adheres to the established rules.
1. My legal team goes strictly by the book.
2. The Olympic committee decided that the competition wasn’t judged by the book.
3. Johnny used to be rebellious but now he lives by the book.
4. Sometimes the most prestigious officers were those who didn’t go by the book.
aboveboard, becoming, befitting, by the numbers, correct, disciplined, harsh, moral, orderly, planned, polite, precise, respectable, right, rigid, solid, square, straight, straightforward, strict, structured, systematic, systematical, well-regulated