To call it a day means to stop a particular activity and rest for the day.
To stop work for the day.
- To stop some activity; to stop doing something.
1. All this exercise has made me tired, let’s call it a day.
2. Danny had a very long day at the office, so at midnight he decided to call it a day.
3. I think we should call it a day, my feet are killing me!
4. After all this shopping, I think we should call it a day. Let’s wind down with wine and dessert!
abort, achieve, back off, break off, bring to an end, call it quits, close out, come to an end, delay, desist, discontinue, drop, expire, finish, give up, halt, quit, refrain, resign, resolve, retire, settle, shut down, stop, suspend, terminate, withdraw, wrap up
To do more harm than good means to have a bad effect rather than a good one. To make a situation worse rather than better. To be damaging rather than helpful. 1. I'm sorry but saying anything at this point may do more harm than good. 2. Her boyfriend is doing more...read more
To do the unthinkable means to do something unexpected. Impossible to imagine; inconceivable. Unreasonable; improbable; not to be considered; out of the question. 1. This store is doing the unthinkable and making their products more affordable. 2. Skateboarding isn't...read more
To drop someone/something like a hot potato means to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly. To discontinue; to get rid of very quickly. To quickly stop being involved with someone/something. 1. I dropped the idea like a hot potato because my boss...read more