To call it a day means to stop a particular activity and rest for the day.
To stop work for the day.
- To stop some activity; to stop doing something.
1. All this exercise has made me tired, let’s call it a day.
2. Danny had a very long day at the office, so at midnight he decided to call it a day.
3. I think we should call it a day, my feet are killing me!
4. After all this shopping, I think we should call it a day. Let’s wind down with wine and dessert!
abort, achieve, back off, break off, bring to an end, call it quits, close out, come to an end, delay, desist, discontinue, drop, expire, finish, give up, halt, quit, refrain, resign, resolve, retire, settle, shut down, stop, suspend, terminate, withdraw, wrap up