- A catch 22 situation refers to a dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.
- A frustrating situation where you cannot do one thing without doing a second and you cannot do the second before doing the first.
- A requirement that cannot be met until a prerequisite requirement is met.
1. I need experience to get a new job, but without a job I can’t gain experience. It’s a catch 22.
2. Have you heard of the quote from Joseph Heller’s Catch 22? Anything worth dying for is certainly worth living for.
3. To lose weight I need to eat less, but eating less makes me want to eat more causing me to gain weight. It’s a catch 22.
4. To get ahead in life I need a respectable job, but to get a respectable job I need to go to school delaying my opportunities in getting ahead in life. My whole life is a catch 22.
contradiction, deception, decoy, dilemma, hitch, joke, paradox, puzzle, puzzler, lose-lose, quagmire