- To cry me a river is an expression said to someone whose whining, complaints, or tears fall on unsympathetic ears.
- To try to obtain the sympathy of another person by complaining or sniveling.
- To weep profusely or excessively in the presence of another person.
1. You can cry me a river but you are not leaving this house today nor will you be attending the party!
2. A: I’ve had it with office politics, gossip, and not being acknowledged at work.
B: Oh cry me a river, everyone who works in an office goes through the same things.
3. A: My vacation was ruined with airport delays, lost baggage, poor weather, and sore feet from walking so much.
B: Cry me a river, at least you got to travel to Europe!
4. A: I’m too tired to go out tonight.
B: Yeah, yeah, cry me a river. Come on, let’s go out for a drink!
ache, agonize, break down, complain, cry, deplore, eat one’s heart out, endure, grieve, groan, lament, moan, mourn, regret, sing the blues, shed tears, sob, sorrow, suffer, take it hard, turn on waterworks, wail, weep, whimper
Try this expression!
- To be a cry baby is someone who sheds tears frequently or readily.
- Someone who will cry over the smallest thing out of self pity.
- Someone, usually a child, who cries too easily and too often.
1. You can’t always get what you want Jennifer, don’t be such a cry baby.
2. Mommy, Mason is being a cry baby because he dropped his ice cream cone!
3. I’ll help you once you stop being a cry baby.
4. It’s funny to see a lot of spoiled cry baby millionaires on reality tv nowadays.
bad tempered, bellyacher, complainer, complaining, cranky, cross, critic, faultfinder, griper, grouchy, grumbler, moaner, sissy, softy, sulky, sullen, touchy, whiner, wimp, wuss