- To do a double take means to react with surprise; to have to look twice to make sure that one really saw correctly.
- To look at something or someone twice because you are so surprised at what you have seen.
1. When I walked by and saw the accident, I did a double take.
2. What a beautiful red purse, I just did a double take! How much do you think it is?
3. I just saw the most beautiful girl ever. Totally did a double take.
4. I did a double take when I saw a deer crossing the street downtown.
afterthought, amazed, blow away, impressed, second thought, shocked, surprised, taken aback, thrown off, thrown off guard