- If something does the trick, it is exactly what is needed.
- Having the necessary or desired effect.
- To successfully achieve a result; get the preferred outcome.
1. I think some more salt will do the trick!
2. A: This panel is loose and needs some tuning.
B: Maybe this driver will do the trick.
3. Our dogs fur has grown out so much I can’t see his eyes anymore, maybe a visit to the groomer will do the trick.
4. A: My wife is angry with me and I don’t know what to do.
B: I know a small box with something sparkly did the trick for me.
achieve, attain, bring about, carry out, conclude, contribute to, do, fill the bill, finish, manage, perform, produce, pull off, realize
To do more harm than good means to have a bad effect rather than a good one. To make a situation worse rather than better. To be damaging rather than helpful. 1. I'm sorry but saying anything at this point may do more harm than good. 2. Her boyfriend is doing more...read more
To do the unthinkable means to do something unexpected. Impossible to imagine; inconceivable. Unreasonable; improbable; not to be considered; out of the question. 1. This store is doing the unthinkable and making their products more affordable. 2. Skateboarding isn't...read more
To drop someone/something like a hot potato means to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly. To discontinue; to get rid of very quickly. To quickly stop being involved with someone/something. 1. I dropped the idea like a hot potato because my boss...read more