To drink to someone or something means to toast someone or something.
To take an alcoholic drink in honour of someone or something.
- To hold your glasses up, often touch them together, and then drink from them to express your respect or good wishes.
1. Let us drink to our guests of honour, the Royal Family.
2. I wish you a very happy marriage. Let’s all drink to the happy couple!
3. I’d like to raise a toast to a wonderful boy on his graduation day. Let us drink to William.
4. Let’s raise our glasses. Let us drink to the lovely Mrs. Robinson for celebrating her 80th birthday.
acknowledgment, celebration, ceremony, commemoration, compliment, down, drink, health, honour, pledge, proposal, salute, sentiment, shingle, thanksgiving, tribute