- To be heavy-hearted means to be sorrowful; melancholy; depressed.
- Feeling depressed or melancholy; sad.
- A feeling of unhappiness.
1. We said our goodbyes at the airport with a heavy heart.
2. I felt heavy-hearted watching the documentary about the global environmental crisis.
3. I’ve been heavy-hearted ever since our dog was put down.
4. My dad has been heavy-hearted since he was laid off work.
aching heart, agony of mind, bathos, bleeding heart, broken heart, depressing, heartache, heaviness of heart, in low spirits, in the dumps, joyless, low, melancholy, miserable, moody, moping, mournful, pathos, pessimistic, sad, sad heart, solemn, sulky, sullen, unhappy
How about another expression?
- If someone is heavy-handed, they are insensitive and use excessive force or authority when dealing with a problem.
- Doing something in a strict way, exerting a lot of control.
- Dealing with people or problems in a severe or harsh way.
1. New York has been known for its heavy-handed police tactics.
2. She believes that children should be handled with a heavy hand.
3. The King ruled with a heavy hand.
4. My father runs his company with heavy-handed rules and regulations.
coercive, cruel, disciplinary, draconian, firm, forbidding, grim, hard, hard-boiled, harsh, iron-fisted, no-nonsense, oppressive, picky, prudish, rigid, rigorous, scrupulous, severe, stern, straight, stringent, tough, unpermissive, unsparing