To lay your cards on the table means to speak honestly and openly about your feelings and intentions.
To be completely open and honest in declaring one’s resources, intentions, or attitude.
- To truthfully explain what you know or think.
1. It was time to lay my cards on the table and tell him that I wasn’t ready to marry him.
2. Why don’t you lay our cards on the table and confess to the crime!
3. As soon as the CEO’s laid their cards on the table, the negotiations were under way.
4. How about you stop lying and lay your cards on the table.
acknowledge, admit, affirm, announce, concede, confess, declare, divulge, explain, expose, inform, publish, report, reveal, tell