- When two things or people are like oil and water it means they are incompatible or unable to interact or coexist easily.
- When certain qualities or personalities are incompatible; differences in personality, opinions, beliefs, etc.
- When obejcts, elements, factors, forces, people, etc., do not get along or go well together.
1. My coworkers and I are like oil and water when it comes to politics.
2. Religion is one of those things that can divide a community like oil and water.
3. My brother and I were like oil and water when we were growing up. We always had fistfights.
4. As an interior decorator, I find that my decorative taste conflicts with my clients’ and our relationship ends up like oil and water.
clashing, conflicting, contradictory, contrary, disagreeing, disparate, inappropriate, incompatible, incongruous, inconsistent, irreconcilable, marching to a different drummer, mismatched, night and day, offbeat, opposed, opposite, poles apart, unsuitable, unsuited, whale of difference
Try this expression!
- Game time means that it’s time to go what has to be done.
- Time to play/work/accomplish what needs to be done.
- The time at which an activity is about to begin.
1. Ok team, it’s game time! Let’s put our energy into having fun and winning this tournament!
2. When are we going? I’m not sure but let’s make it a game time decision.
3. George, it’s game time for you. I want you to land this multimillion dollar deal.
4. Kids let’s go! It’s game time!
beginning, commencement, get-go, kickoff, start, starting time
To do more harm than good means to have a bad effect rather than a good one. To make a situation worse rather than better. To be damaging rather than helpful. 1. I'm sorry but saying anything at this point may do more harm than good. 2. Her boyfriend is doing more...read more
To do the unthinkable means to do something unexpected. Impossible to imagine; inconceivable. Unreasonable; improbable; not to be considered; out of the question. 1. This store is doing the unthinkable and making their products more affordable. 2. Skateboarding isn't...read more
To drop someone/something like a hot potato means to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly. To discontinue; to get rid of very quickly. To quickly stop being involved with someone/something. 1. I dropped the idea like a hot potato because my boss...read more