- When two things or people are like oil and water it means they are incompatible or unable to interact or coexist easily.
- When certain qualities or personalities are incompatible; differences in personality, opinions, beliefs, etc.
- When obejcts, elements, factors, forces, people, etc., do not get along or go well together.
1. My coworkers and I are like oil and water when it comes to politics.
2. Religion is one of those things that can divide a community like oil and water.
3. My brother and I were like oil and water when we were growing up. We always had fistfights.
4. As an interior decorator, I find that my decorative taste conflicts with my clients’ and our relationship ends up like oil and water.
clashing, conflicting, contradictory, contrary, disagreeing, disparate, inappropriate, incompatible, incongruous, inconsistent, irreconcilable, marching to a different drummer, mismatched, night and day, offbeat, opposed, opposite, poles apart, unsuitable, unsuited, whale of difference
Try this expression!
- Game time means that it’s time to go what has to be done.
- Time to play/work/accomplish what needs to be done.
- The time at which an activity is about to begin.
1. Ok team, it’s game time! Let’s put our energy into having fun and winning this tournament!
2. When are we going? I’m not sure but let’s make it a game time decision.
3. George, it’s game time for you. I want you to land this multimillion dollar deal.
4. Kids let’s go! It’s game time!
beginning, commencement, get-go, kickoff, start, starting time