- If something feels like turkeys voting for Christmas, they choose to accept a situation which will have very bad results for them.
- Self-defeating or serving to bring about a situation detrimental to the person performing the action.
- Hastening your own death.
1. Procrastinating your work before the holidays is like turkeys voting for Christmas.
2. The Democratic Party is making bad decisions kind of like turkeys voting for Christmas.
3. Tell me if I’m wrong but I feel like studying for this test is like turkeys voting for Christmas.
4. I think I’m sabotaging my creative energy by being a perfectionist. Like turkey voting for Christmas.
ambush, beat, crush, finish off, overpower, overthrow, overwhelm, tour, upset, vanquish
How about this expression?
- A Christmas graduate is a college or university student who discontinues his or her education after the end of the first term.
- A student (usually college) who drops out at Christmastime when they go back home to visit their parents.
- A college student who experiences homesickness, academic failure, unpopularity and drop out of school during Christmastime.
1. I’m not sure if this program is working out for me. I’m seriously considering being a Christmas graduate.
2. I’ve got a plan to become a Christmas graduate to my current program. And come next fall, I’ll apply to the Nursing program which is what I really want to do. In the meantime, I’ll get all my pre-requisites in place.
3. I’m a firm believer that going to college right after high school isn’t always the best idea. You don’t want to become a Christmas graduate, do you?
4. A: Where did Alisha go?
B: She dropped out and became a Christmas graduates.
abandon, back out, cease, forsake, give notice, give up, leave, retreat, quit, withdraw