- To make something from scratch means to cook or bake from the beginning using only basic ingredients.
- From the very beginning; from the onset; from nothing.
- To cook food from the original ingredients, without using a prepared mixture.
- Making or building something from nothing; collecting material to create something from the very beginning.
1. These biscuits are delicious! Did you buy them at a bakery or make them from scratch?
2. My mother always made pasta sauce from scratch.
3. Monica and Jill started their own company from scratch and now they’re rich and successful!
4. After years of needing one, my husband made a wooden stool from scratch.
begin again, from square one, from the beginning, make a fresh start