- To miss the boat means to have failed to take advantage of an opportunity.
- To miss out on something; to be ignorant of something.
- To have made an error; to be wrong.
1. If you think there are tickets left for the concert, you’ve missed the boat.
2. My lawyer really missed the boat when he overlooked a piece of evidence found at the crime scene.
3. I’ve told you many times to pay attention to detail on this design, you’ve missed the boat on this one Tom.
4. David, you missed the boat on your recent history paper.
break down, confuse, decline, fail, go wrong, hit bottom, miscalculate, misinterpret, miss, overestimate, overlook, slip, underestimate