- In a contest or competition, when two competitors reach the same level, they are neck and neck.
- So close that the advantage or lead shifts from one to the other.
- Exactly even, especially in a race or competition.
1. Josh and Gavin finished the race neck and neck.
2. The Olympic athletes were heading to the finish line neck and neck.
3. The two students are neck and neck in building a life-size robot for the science fair.
4. Tommy and Jason,who finished neck and neck, are the finalists going on to the competitive game round.
close, deadlocked, drawn, needle, tied, too close to call