- When someone picks up the tab it refers to paying the bill.
- To pay money for something.
- To take the check, especially a meal in a restaurant.
- A person who pays for everyone picks up the tab.
1. Our family eats out once a week and my father always picks up the tab.
2. Hey everyone! I’m picking up the tab tonight so eat, drink, and be merry!
3. Since you owe me money, why don’t you pick up the tab tonight?
4. In some countries, whoever’s having the birthday picks up the tab.
bear the cost, bear the expense, buy for, finance, foot the bill, give, pay for, pay the bill, pick up the check, play host, provide, take out, wine and dine