- To raise the bar means to set a higher standard for other people to follow.
- To set tougher goals to elevate the standards by which someone or something is judged.
- To raise standards or expectations.
1. The Olympic athlete set a new World Record, raising the bar for all athletes in her sport.
2. My business partner always reaches for perfection, raising the bar in quality and performance.
3. How about raising the bar on national tests to get the students to study harder?
4. Technological advances will raise the bar in this industry.
activate, advance, build-up, cause, enhancement, increase, motivate, provoke, put forward, raise, rise, set, suggest