When you rub salt in a wound, it means to deliberately make someone’s unhappiness, shame, or misfortune worse.
- To unnecessarily cause someone more sadness or trouble. when he or she is already in a difficult situation.
- To make a difficult situation even worse for someone.
1. Losing was bad enough but watching the team win the trophy was like rubbing salt in a wound.
2. Her nasty remark was like rubbing salt in a wound.
3. My skin has been breaking out lately and when Robert called me Pizza-face it was like rubbing salt in a wound.
4. Finding our engagement ring after the breakup was like rubbing salt in a wound.
add fuel to the fire, add insult to injury, aggravate, exacerbate, heighten, provoke, slap in the face, twist the knife, worsen