To rule with a velvet glove means to rule in a very gentle way.
- Used to describe someone who seems to be gentle but is in fact forceful and determined.
- A person who has a gentle, sweet, or unassuming appearance or disposition, but who in reality is particularly severe, forceful, or uncompromising.
1. Olivia rules with a velvet glove which is why she still gets everything done.
2. It seems like Garret rules with a velvet glove but don’t be fooled he’s more strict than you think.
3. I will rule with a velvet glove until I come across a turncoat.
4. There is a fine line between being bossy and ruling with a velvet glove.
delicacy, fastidiousness, gentle handling, gentleness, good taste, kid-glove treatment, leniency, light hand, light rein, refinement, tact, tolerance