When someone is straight-faced, it means that they have a serious, unsmiling face.
- With a blank or serious facial expression, especially when trying to conceal one’s true feelings.
- An expressionless face.
1. She is very straight-faced, but she has a warm heart.
2. Danny is straight-faced when he’s working, but he always smiles when he speaks.
3. I have a straight-face when I play poker.
4. I tried to keep a straight face when I saw Leonard show up in black leather pants.
blank, impassive, nobody home, poker-faced, serious, stony, unreadable, vacant, wooden
To do more harm than good means to have a bad effect rather than a good one. To make a situation worse rather than better. To be damaging rather than helpful. 1. I'm sorry but saying anything at this point may do more harm than good. 2. Her boyfriend is doing more...read more
To do the unthinkable means to do something unexpected. Impossible to imagine; inconceivable. Unreasonable; improbable; not to be considered; out of the question. 1. This store is doing the unthinkable and making their products more affordable. 2. Skateboarding isn't...read more
To drop someone/something like a hot potato means to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly. To discontinue; to get rid of very quickly. To quickly stop being involved with someone/something. 1. I dropped the idea like a hot potato because my boss...read more