- To take a shot means to make an attempt at something.
- To try to do something.
- To aim or discharge.
1. I wasn’t sure if I’d make the team, but I thought I’d take a shot at it anyway.
2. Mary was always good at drawing and now she’s taking a shot at fashion design.
3. I haven’t played badminton before but I’m going to take a shot this weekend.
4. In this economy, you need to take a shot at as many opportunities as you can.
all one’s got, aim, attempt, dab, effort, endeavour, experiment, give a whirl, give best shot, give it a go, give it a try, go the limit, have a crack, have a go at, make a run at, pursue, pursuit, seek, solicit, strive, struggle, tackle, take a stab at, take best shot, take on, try, try one’s hand at