- That’s the way the cookie crumbles is something you say which means that bad things sometimes happen and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.
- Said when something slightly unlucky has happened that could not have been prevented and so must be accepted.
- Things don’t always turn out the way we want.
1. A: In spite of all her hard work, the organisation is going through a rough patch.
B: Well, I guess that’s the way the cookie crumbles.
2. A: I waited in line for 2 hours to buy a box of these famous cupcakes but they sold out by the time I got there.
B: I guess that’s the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
3. A: I can’t believe this! I’ve been at this company for the past 25 years and you’re giving me an early retirement package?
B: Well, that’s the way the cookie crumbles.
4. A: I wasn’t given the promotion I wanted at work. I guess I’ll have to wait till next quarter.
B: Sometimes, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Don’t get too upset over it.
c’est la vie, it is fated, it’s in the cards, oh well, que sera sera, such is life, that’s life, that’s reality, what will be will be
How about this expression?
- To be a smart cookie refers to someone who is clever and good at dealing with difficult situations.
- Someone who is intelligent and really good at solving problems.
- To be a clever person.
1. If there’s one person that can lead this company, it’s Karen. She’s one smart cookie.
2. My son is doing much better in school. Their teacher even complimented her and told her she was a smart cookie.
3. You’re a brilliant lawyer and very well respected. You’re a smart cookie, you’ll figure it out.
4. She’s a young girl, but she’s also a smart cookie. I have confidence that she will succeed.
active, agile, astute, bold, brainy, bright, brilliant, canny, competent, capable, crafty, energetic, forward, good, on the ball, quick, quick-witted, resourceful, sharp, shrewd, slick, wise