To pick a fight means to start a fight or argument with someone on purpose.
To talk or behave in such a way as to provoke a fight or argument.
- To intentionally start a fight with someone.
1. Henry is always well behaved, I could never even imagine that he would pick a fight with anyone.
2. Are you trying to pick a fight with me?
3. The soccer player started to pick a fight with the referee, who immediately gave him a red card.
4. The politician always used vulgar language and picked a fight with one of the highest paid lawyers in town.
altercate, argue, bicker, brawl, buck, cause a scene, combat, continue, defy, disagree, dispute, engage in, fall out, fight, force, make a stand against, oppose, push forward, put up an argument, quarrel, resist, stand up to, take on