Money that is paid under the table means it is given secretly and often illegally.
Money or bribes that are illegal and unethical.
- Secretly and often illegally.
1. Many factory employees are forced to work more than 70 hours per week and their salaries are paid under the table.
2. They paid him under the table so as to avoid paying taxes.
3. He’s from out of town, so I paid him under the table for fixing the roof of my house.
4. I think we’ve got to pay him under the table to keep him quiet.
camouflaged, classified, confidential, covert, hidden, hush-hush, private, privy, restricted, secret, secretive, surreptitious, top secret, undercover, underhand, unsuspected