To work like a dog means to work very hard.
- To work extremely hard.
- To work day and night; overtime.
1. You’ve got to invest in stocks when the time is ripe and that means now!
2. I’m waiting until the time is ripe to tell my parents about wrecking their car.
3. I’ll tell my mom about my plan to move to New York when the time is ripe.
4. Since the time is ripe, I thought I’d tell my boss for a raise.
bear down, cram, do double duty, elucubrate, grind, lucubrate, overwork, study, sweat and slave, toil away, work day and night, work late, work overtime
To do more harm than good means to have a bad effect rather than a good one. To make a situation worse rather than better. To be damaging rather than helpful. 1. I'm sorry but saying anything at this point may do more harm than good. 2. Her boyfriend is doing more...read more
To do the unthinkable means to do something unexpected. Impossible to imagine; inconceivable. Unreasonable; improbable; not to be considered; out of the question. 1. This store is doing the unthinkable and making their products more affordable. 2. Skateboarding isn't...read more
To drop someone/something like a hot potato means to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly. To discontinue; to get rid of very quickly. To quickly stop being involved with someone/something. 1. I dropped the idea like a hot potato because my boss...read more